We left the hotel at 7:45 and drove to the oldest irrigation in the world. I don't know so much about the irrigation part, but the gardens are absolutely gorgeous. I can't stop taking pictures. It's like Descanso Gardens and the Huntington Library and then some, absolutely incredible. We spent a couple of hours there, then went to a restaurant and had hot pot. Each person has their own pot with broth over a sterno flame. Next to it is a bowl with a sauce that you can season how you want - cilantro, pepper sauce, etc. Then they bring out plate after plate of food. Mushrooms, potatoes, tomatoes, cucumber and different cuts of beef thinly sliced and rolled. You place the ingredients in the pot to cook, then dip or soak them in the other dish before eating. It is so good and the plates just keep coming.
From there we went to a school that instructs students 2 yrs old to high school. The kids were a lot of fun and speak English quite well. The school is private and is able to charge a healthy tuition because they have "foreign" (american) instructors teaching english. What's interesting is that boys are boys regardless of the culture, full of energy and rambunctious - I love it.
After another dinner in our honor we came back to the hotel then down to Sam's Massage parlor for an awesome foot massage. Teresa and I had lavender stuff added to our foot bath that made the water gelatinous. They told us it would be 5 extra yuan, but when we went to pay, they tried to charge us 20 extra yuan. Hello . . . do you want us to come back tomorrow? They finally came to their senses and charge us the right amount. I also paid for Josh A's massage since he volunteered and carried my luggage up to the 4th floor yesterday.
Now there are 10 of us in Sam's hostel using the free internet.
Having a great time. I wonder what it'll be like to be back in the real world and having conversations with someone over the age of 22. I'm enjoying them, but it's new lingo, don't be surprised if I come back and use "legit" and "random" a lot.
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment