This morning we had breakfast at the hotel - no coffee, no tea, just hot tang or hot milk. Kevin P has starbucks instant coffee, but no hot water.
At 9 we drove to an orphanage, most of the children are not orphans, but abandoned as they have some sort of defect - a bad heart, cleft palate, downs syndrome, crippled, etc. The facility is 3 buildings, 1/2 of the facility is owned by the government and the other half by a Christian organization. They've lost a few workers lately because people were not getting paid enough to live on and had to leave to find other work. A worker might live with 6 children in a room. We were warned that the kids are mostly used to seeing adult women so they might shy away from the men. They also knew we were coming so they were excited. The welcome that we received was anything but reserved, they warmed up to everyone right away, even the guys. I am so proud of our group, everyone, even the guys are just great with the kids, when they have kids of their own they are going to be wonderful parents. Our most gregarious members - Robert and Clinton - seem to be having a hard time with it, they are so tender hearted. We were there for about 2 hours playing with the kids. We also got to go to the baby area and hold babies. It is so sweet to see these big guys like Dan Bertsch or Jonathon Massey gently holding these little babies. Josh R didn't want to let go of Avery. One of the babies had blond hair and blue eyes (called albino, but he doesn't look totally albino) - and that's why he was abandoned. I called him my little Viking baby.
I played a memory game with a couple of kids, one of them named Lee seems very smart. Through one of the workers I told him I thought he was smart, he said no, only so-so. Although they try to train them for a job, I doubt he'll get an adequate eduction. So sad.
Back to the hotel for a welcoming banquet with the President of Shaanxi University and other faculty members. Once again, another delicious meal.
After lunch, Teresa and I set off on a quest to find me scissors so I can cut my bangs. We asked where shopping was and the front desk gave us some direction. The guy finally writes down 1000m and points in a direction, once we get outside we're not sure where he was pointing but we start walking towards what we think might be a mall. Everyone on the street says "hello" to us and some school kids yell America. In spite of what you may hear on TV, they love America. The building we thought was a mall is a hospital. We just start walking and eventually come to a store that's clean and larger than most, we walk in and I make a cutting motion and they show me some scissors - only 6 Yuan, less than a buck. I really hope they can cut hair (they can). After getting back to the hotel, I upload pictures to Picasa, then back to the south campus for another concert.
Just like last night the place is packed and the group is treated like rock stars. I talked to Tyler, sometimes all the attention is overwhelming. He says that on the one hand it's nice, on the other, he's never felt so used. I don't think he'll be a good famous person, but he is a good and thoughtful person.
Dinner was at RKC, the best fast food we've had and the restaurant had internet access so everyone is checking e-mail.
I am so tired of squatty potties (porcelain holes in the ground). Not so much for the lack of a seat, but the smell and the back spray hitting my ankles (trust me, I wash my feet before I go to bed each night.) I have decided that you can't be older and travel in China. Yes, sometimes there are "handicapped" potties (normal toilets for us), but sometimes there isn't. And sometimes the squatty potties are just too gross to use. I don't know if I've mentioned before that the roll of toilet paper is on the outside, you grab it b4 you go to the stall. Hopefully you grab enough.
Back to the school for a cultural exchange. Their students perform for us and they are talented, but I am so tired and during a recital of a traditional stringed instrument my head kept bobbing. Plus Teresa makes comments and then I get the giggles. One girl got up to play the minute waltz by Chopin, but Teresa thought the name of the piece was Dog Swain in the lake, I thought it was "Dark Swan in the Lake", I guess neither of us was right. Then they had some of our group get up and play, Josh R played 1st movement of Sonata Pathetique, The Beauty Shop quartet sang., Dan and Tavani got up and learned how to play the 2 stringed instrument and then played a couple of pieces for us. I was tired earlier, now I'm really punchy and Teresa's comments aren't helping. Plus, it doesn't appear that they need to (or at least do) tune their instruments (they certainly didn't the piano), or maybe it's they are quarter tone instruments, either way, it's good for a laugh. Back to the hotel at 11 and I'm ready for bed.
A good day, but long and emotional.
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment